2 8-inch round cake pans, greased, bottom lined with parchment paper, then greased n floured
stand mixer with paddle attachment
1/2 cup unsalted butter - softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa
1 tbsp cold strong coffee
2 ounce red food coloring
1 tsp salt
2 1/4 cup cake flour
1 tsp vnla extract
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp white vinegar
1. Set the oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350 F.
2. In the bowl of the stand mixer, cream the butter and the sugar.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each.
4. In the small bowl, stir the cocoa, coffee, and food color to make a smooth paste. Add this mixture to the egg mixture and mix until the color is consistent throughout the batter.
5. Add the sourcream, vanilla, salt, and cake flour. Mix until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
6. In the another bowl, add the baking soda and vinegar and stir gently. The mixture will bubble and froth a bit.
7. Pour immediately into the mixture and mix smooth the batter.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and the center springs back when gently depressed.
9. Remove from oven and cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a plastic knife around the sides and turn the layers out, then turn them back over so they are upright. Level with a sharp knife as necessary just before frosting.
10. Make the frosting while the cake is baking.
450 gm cream cheese - room temperature
1 cup softened butter
1 tbsp vnla extract
2 cup icing sugar
1. Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until smooth.
2. Beat in vanilla.
3. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
4. Place 1 cake layer, flat side up, on platter.
5. Spread 1 cup frosting over top of cake.
6. Top with second cake layer, flat side down.
7. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
8. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.
9. Refrigerate unused portions.